I have been a trustee of the Association for the last 3 years.
During that time, I have:
- Chaired the Rally committee, which organises the annual Steam Rally, attracting around 6000 visitors and generating profits of some £40,000 each year.
- Acted as steward of the Association’s land at Norton Fitzwarren until recently, and led the negotiations with the developer of Ford Farm, resulting in a positive outcome for the WSRA
- Taken on the acting role of treasurer, by chairing the finance committee, formed after our treasurer stepped back for personal reasons
- Provided support to Mike Sherwood, joining him at the ongoing working group with the plc and the Steam Trust
- Acted as a director of WSRA promotions Ltd.
- Volunteered as a signalman at Minehead and Blue Anchor
If re-elected, I will continue to work to secure the future of the Association and support the plc through the Covid crisis. In the longer term, I am in favour of restructuring the whole railway along the lines of the Bailey report. If successful, this would mean that the Association, and other support groups, would merge into a totally new charity. This would be the most effective way to use the tax & other benefits of a charity to raise the funds we need for the future, as well as to avoid the conflicts that have bedevilled the railway over the years.